Sitting just 18km off the coast, Rottnest Island is the perfect choice for a fun-filled day trip. It’s easy to get to, there’s plenty to see and do, and you’re sure to have a few unique experiences. The only hard part will be cramming everything into one day!
As with any day trip, planning ahead will help you get the most out of your time on Rottnest Island. While you can get almost everything you need on the island, it always pays to be prepared. And packing a few essentials will allow you to fully – and safely – immerse yourself in everything the island has to offer.
What can you do on a day trip to Rottnest Island?
Whether you’re looking for adventure, history, or simply stunning scenery, you’re sure to find what you’re after on Rottnest Island. Here are just a few of the many activities you can do on your day trip:
- Enjoy the crystal clear waters surrounding the island – we recommend snorkelling at The Basin and surfing at Strickland Bay.
- Tour the 22km loop around the island, taking in the sights of its 63 beaches and 20 bays.
- Join one of the Quokka Walks and try to score yourself the much sought-after #QuokkaSelfie.
- Learn a little more about the island’s history at the Oliver Hill Gun & Tunnel and Wadjemup Museum.
For more information on how you can spend your time on Rottnest Island, check out our Ultimate Guide to a Family Weekend Away.
Rottnest Island essentials
Whether you’re visiting Rottnest Island for a day, or a few days, there are a few items you must bring. This includes:
- Sun protection: Shade can be hard to come by on Rottnest Island, particularly on its many beaches. As such, you need to make sure you’re prepared to slip, slop, slap – regardless of the time of year. This means bringing a long-sleeved shirt, a wide brimmed hat, and most importantly, your sunscreen (we recommend at least SPF30+).
- Drinking water: Dehydration is a real risk when you’re out exploring the island, particularly on warmer days. To combat this, make sure you bring enough water with you to get through the day. While there are places on the island to buy water – and to refill your water bottle – these are mostly in the main settlement.
- First Aid Kit: Rottnest Island is a safe location for the whole family, but accidents happen and it’s always best to be prepared. That’s why it’s a good idea to carry a comprehensive first aid kit with you when you’re on the island. Make sure you also bring any prescription medications you require with you as there’s currently no pharmacy on Rottnest Island.
- Sturdy backpack: If you’re planning to get out and explore the scenery, a flimsy or impractical bag simply won’t cut it. Instead, opt for a proper backpack that’s big enough to hold everything you need to carry with you. While it may not be as stylish, we guarantee you it will help you enjoy the whole experience more.
Other creature comforts
In addition to the essentials, there are a few other things that can make your time on Rottnest Island more enjoyable. Specifically, we suggest making sure you have:
- Your favourite snacks: We strongly recommend making the time to check out some of Rottnest Island’s amazing cafes and restaurants. That said, it’s also worth having some of your favourite treats on hand for when you get peckish between meals.
- Bicycles: Bikes are the transportation of choice on the island, particularly if you want to tour around at your own pace. And, while you can always hire bikes on the island, it’s quicker and easier to arrange them with your ferry ticket. Our Bike & Ferry combo is also the island’s cheapest bike hire and includes a helmet and bike lock.
- Snorkelling gear: Much like with your bike, you can hire this on the island, but it’s easier to arrange through Rottnest Fast Ferries. Our hire rates are the cheapest you’ll find on the island and include mask, flippers, and a net carry bag. And having this gear with you will mean you can really explore the island’s pristine surrounds.
Making the trip to Rottnest Island
Now you’re all packed and ready for your trip to Rottnest Island, you just need to get there. This is where Rottnest Fast Ferries can help.
We have services departing multiple times a day, 7 days a week – check out our ferry timetable. We also offer a wide range of packages, helping you to book everything you need for your perfect day out. And getting to the ferry couldn’t be easier, thanks to our free parking and complimentary courtesy shuttle.
For more information on getting to Rottnest Island with Rottnest Fast Ferries, or to book your trip, contact us today.