Rottnest Island is an isolated community, totally reliant upon its own resources for provision of essential services. Your admission fees contribute to the conservation of the island and help the Rottnest Island Authority work towards long term sustainability as a self-funded tourism destination.
You can minimise the impact of your visit by considering these conservation tips:
- Save power – turn off all lights and appliances when you head out for a swim of cycle
- Use water sparingly. Remember many communities face water shortages (including Rottnest Island). Conserve water by taking a quick shower and turning off the tap when you brush your teeth
- Carry a reusable water bottle (however keeping in mind that drinking water is limited outside of the Main Settlement area, so bring sufficient supplies for your island adventures)
- Keep Australia beautiful – dispose of your rubbish responsibly
- Do not touch or feed the Quokkas (or other wildlife). Help us conserve and sustain the wildlife for many more generations to enjoy
- Do not bring flora or fauna to the island without preapproval
- Do not take flora or fauna from the island (this includes shells and flowers)
- Recycle – it’s vital!
For more information on Rottnest Island and their current sustainability initiatives visist www.rottnestisland.com